is a village about 95 kms from Jaipur on the Jaipur-Agra Road. A
detour is well merited for its amazing step wells or 'baoris'
and Harshat Mata Temple. According to a legend, the village is
so called because the Goddess Harshat Mata who is shown
portrayed in a joyous mood is believed to spread brightness or "abha"
all around. The village's original name was Abha Nagri, and its
name today is Abhaneri.
It is believed that the celebrated king Raja Chand established
the village. On the other hand it is felt that the mythological
Raja Chand could be King Bhoja, who ruled over the Gurjar
kingdom in the ninth century AD. The ruins of the temple also
speaks of the 10th century architectural and sculptural styles.
There is a huge tank named "Chand Baori", opposite to the temple
fortified on all four sides with bastions for defence. Even
though Abhaneri is now in ruins, the place has a distinct
reminiscence about itself. It is best approached by road, buses
ply between Jaipur and Agra.
at 182 kms southwest of Jaipur, it was founded in 1348 and is
best known for its Krishna Temples. The Fort, which was
constructed over different period, is about 600 years old. The
fort was the residence for the royal family until 1950 and is
now occupied by monkeys and geese. The geese were used in the
early days as warning system against any intruders. They still
seem to be doing their duty. The Bhawar Vilas Palace, which is
owned by the descendents of the royal family and resembles a
large manor, is a hotel now. The rooms are comfortable and good
meals are available. Karauli is best connected by bus or taxi